Realization of the Safety Software with the B Method
Siemens Transportation Systems (STS) has subcontracted with CLEARSY for the realization with B of the safety software for the automatisms of the future VAL de ROISSY: alarm control unit (UCA) and automatic section drivers (PADS) for Siemens.
This software represents approximately 150,000 ADA lines once completed.The software is classified as SIL4, according to standards IEC61508: EN50126, EN50128, EN50129.
The Simplified System
A few figures…
On the L1 VAL line inaugurated on 4 April 2007, 2 computers have been installed: the UCA and PADS (as many PADS as required – S for Section).
For the PADS software:
- 186,440 lines for the AS Ada safety code (AS – Safety Application)
- 30,632 lines for the AS non safety-critical Ada code
- number of mathematical Proofs: 62,056
- number of B lines: 256,653 lines
For the UCA software:
- 50,085 lines for the AS Ada safety code
- 11,662 lines for the AS non safety-critical Ada code
- number of mathematical Proofs: 12,811
- number of B lines: 65,722 lines
The number of effective B lines is smaller than that announced as comments are taken into account, including remarks which guide refinement.
A second line for Charles de Gaulles airport is due to be inaugurated in June 2007.
Publications and Feedback
- Introduction document: realization of SIL4 safety software for the Val de Roissy: download
- Conférence ZB2005 : Article “Using B as a High Level Programming Language in an Industrial” : téléchargez
- Conférence ZB2005: “Using B as a High Level Programming Language in an Industrial Project” (slides): download
- Météor : a Successful Application of B in a Large Project”, FM’99, Toulouse, France, 1999 – Behm P., Benoît P., Faivre A., Meynadier J.-M. SpringerLink.com
- Vital software: Formal method and coded processor – ERTS 2006 – 25-27 January 2006 – Toulouse –
- Formal Methods in Industry: Achievements, Problems, Future – Jean Raymond Abrial Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich : Portal.acm.org
- MetroPole : an article on the Val de Roissy